May 31, 2011 1 Comment
Belper North Mill
20th April – 2nd May 2011
The exhibition highlighted the importance of the Strutt’s family contributions to the development of Belper, Milford and beyond. Pupils from three local schools got involved in the exhibition which was staffed entirely by volunteers.
The exhibition was opened by Lin Ryan whose grandfather George Herbert Strutt gave Belper the Strutt’s school, swimming pool and River Gardens.
An unexpected (but very welcome) outcome of the exhibition was a new acquisition for Belper North Mill. A visitor to the exhibition spoke to Stephanie Hitchcock about a wooden box that she had purchased from an antique shop in Ashbourne 10 years ago.
The box is inscribed with the words ‘W.G. & J. Strutt, Belper. Established 1780, manufacturers of sewing, knitting, crochet, merino yarns &c.’ The top of the box also shows an image of the Belper Mill complex with the mills at Milford in the background.
After some discussions the visitor decided to sell the box to Belper North Mill so that it can be put permanently on public display.